Your mobile at your fingertips
Google
Welcome (logout)
Discussion over PocketCM Calendar :  PocketCM

Suggestions
Posted by: Blowfish64 ()
Date: March 08, 2008 07:02PM

Hey tene,

Looks like a good start. I know you mentioned "more calendar views" in your todo list, so wondering what those might be? As it stands, I don't think the downward scrolling is the most appropriate format for a calendar right now. Personally, I would most like to see the following:

One month per screen view with swipe moving to the next/previous month.

Year view with the twelve months on the screen. Tapping on one would zoom into that one.

Change the animation from calendar to day view to a rotation rather than a slide.

Also, at present when I use a swipe gesture while on an individual day, sometimes it goes to the previous/next day and other times it goes back to the calendar view. I'm assuming this is a bug?

Would also like color coded appointments. For instance, birthdays could show up as blue, appointments red or whatever.

Etc.

Anyway, thanks for working on this. Been hoping someone would pick this up ever since ArcticCat dropped development of his.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Suggestions
Posted by: tene ()
Date: March 08, 2008 11:16PM

More views: I'm thinking a classic "day" view, but with proper scrolling (to make it usable). I've already spend lot of time on the drawing algorithm in one of my other project (www.sf.net/projects/myoe) and I've the feeling it could become useful. I'm also thinking about a simple "next event" view, independant from the day.

For a global year view, I'm not sure, in what scenario is it really useful?

For scrolling through month, I prefer the current way: up/down scrolling.

For "color coding", I'm thinking about assigning colors to category, assuming most event have only one category.

In short: load of ideas, not enough time to implement winking smiley

ps: the bug you describe is fixed, if I'm right.

Posted by: scottmail ()
Date: March 09, 2008 02:15AM

It just starts for a second then stops. Am I doing something wrong? Looks great so far though, I think?

Posted by: Blowfish64 ()
Date: March 09, 2008 02:43AM

tene Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> More views: I'm thinking a classic "day" view, but
> with proper scrolling (to make it usable). I've
> already spend lot of time on the drawing algorithm
> in one of my other project
> (www.sf.net/projects/myoe) and I've the feeling it
> could become useful. I'm also thinking about a
> simple "next event" view, independant from the
> day.
>
> For a global year view, I'm not sure, in what
> scenario is it really useful?
>
> For scrolling through month, I prefer the current
> way: up/down scrolling.
>
> For "color coding", I'm thinking about assigning
> colors to category, assuming most event have only
> one category.
>
> In short: load of ideas, not enough time to
> implement winking smiley
>
> ps: the bug you describe is fixed, if I'm right.

Hey tene,

I realize you like the up/down scrolling better, otherwise you wouldn't have written it that way. I'm just wondering if there's any chance that you could include an option for the other way.

As for the year view, I find it very convenient sometimes when adding appointments many months or even a year in advance. The default WM calendar has this option and I use it quite frequently.

Date: March 09, 2008 09:53AM

if it's just for adding appointment, a specific interface is planned (not completely defined yet, I'm still thinking) for choosing a date.

Regarding the month view, I need most of the time to see: what's coming in the coming weeks, no matter if I go from one month to another, so the vertical scroll works great.

What I propose like always: continue to propose your ideas, explain the scenario where it's useful, but give it some time. You've got my calendar app for a few hour, I had it for some weeks winking smiley

Posted by: rumos ()
Date: March 09, 2008 09:16PM

hi tene,

thx for your email smiling smiley much appreciated !
as for the calendar, i think saturday/sunday should be colored, would help to give more overview.
the idea with the point, representing an appointment is great. but i would go further. what do you think about using 2 points for multiple appointments and 1 point for just 1 appointment.
a third colored one (red/yellow) could be a birthday....

the sliding through the months is okay so far, maybe an index (month in #) on the right side as the one in pocketcm for names could be helpful !

just some ideas...

thx 4 all

Date: March 09, 2008 09:59PM

for the index stuff, do you really need to go that far in the future? most of the time I need the current week and the coming weeks, not further.

Posted by: rumos ()
Date: March 09, 2008 11:08PM

hmm maybe not, but navigating by an index is much more precice than sliding -> ha, theres a new idea running through my mind smiling smiley

i don't know what you are calling it in pocketcm, but the bar that is popping up in the conactlist, when you are holding down your thumb/finger (feedbackbar ?) could be used as a "month"slider !

Posted by: scottmail ()
Date: March 10, 2008 04:18AM

I like the idea of a month slider(Pop-up,whatever you want to callit). I found myself lost in what year I was looking at, then wondering....where are all of my appointments?...

Great job on getting around the 2 sec. problem!!

Posted by: MaxMotus ()
Date: March 10, 2008 09:43AM

scottmail Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like the idea of a month slider(Pop-up,whatever
> you want to callit). I found myself lost in what
> year I was looking at, then wondering....where are
> all of my appointments?...
>
> Great job on getting around the 2 sec. problem!!

Yes I alos got lost in which year i was in. Maybe the month divders should also show the year on.

Posted by: Focaldesign ()
Date: March 10, 2008 11:53AM

Great new development my fellow Belgian friend!
I would also suggest multiple colors per category as I use over 5 of them...

Posted by: filipov1982 ()
Date: May 18, 2008 09:22PM

Hello Tene, I have a couple of suggestions.
1In the calendar can you put names of the days like M or Monday, i find this very helpful in the MS version.

Alos maybe having a little thumb view of what appointment you have the each the in week view or month view would be awesome. Otherwise I like it very much. Thanks

Posted by: vwm ()
Date: June 12, 2008 06:07PM

Hi Tene,

first of all, thank you for the nice tools.

you wrote:
> For a global year view, I'm not sure, in what
> scenario is it really useful?

actually I am missing such a view both in google calendar and in Mozilla lightning. It is most useful to quickly jump some time ahead or back. Also sometimes I need to now which dates fall on a given day of the week (e.g. if i want to make an appointment on a Monday in late summer).

> For "color coding", I'm thinking about assigning
> colors to category, assuming most event have only
> one category.

That would be very useful as well. There are a lot of syncing tools out there that are syncing different calendars to categories (e.B. GooSync, BirdiSync, etc.)

Regards Vincent

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.
© 2010 Quentin Pouplard