PocketCM Contacts & Keyboard
PocketCM

Your mobile at your fingertips
Google
Welcome (logout)
Announcement & Discussion :  PocketCM
New version release, global information. And discussion! 
Tene, where is 1.0?
Posted by: bluetoof ()
Date: December 28, 2007 09:12PM

No rush but I understand you want to make it stable. IMHO it's about as stable as it's going to get. Even full versions of "professional" software aren't 100% "stable" I have been using ver.12 since it came out with NO problems combined with a lot of apps. I think you should just put out 1.0 already so we can have piece of mind that it won't expire... grinning smiley I'll even pay. This is a great application. A must if you will.

Please I'm begging you. Or how can I make v.12 not expire?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tene, where is 1.0?
Posted by: tene ()
Date: December 29, 2007 02:53AM

I'll make it short: what do you imagine there is in my head, why do I do that?

ps: as a side note, unfortunately, you (and me) using it without problem doesn't mean it's the same for everybody... I'd like it to be that way, but it's not.

Posted by: SiliconS ()
Date: January 11, 2008 07:18PM

I have already paid and I would love to have a non-limited version of 0.12. It is excellent software.

Pleeeeeeeeeeease Quentin smiling smiley

Posted by: scuby ()
Date: January 12, 2008 08:18PM

I've read a few times on here about the policy regarding the expiry of the beta versions.

While I understand the desire to ensure people are using the latest update, could I add my voice to ask for a longer expiry. Not necessarily because I want to use the same version longer, but it's currently 12th Jan, and the current version expires on 15th. This caught me out a month or two back, when the newest version expired while I was on holiday (despite having the newest version when I left).

Would be incredibly useful to have at least a couple of weeks between one version being released and the previous version expiring, so we've got maybe a 2 week window in which to update. The current 2-3 day window where every user must update to keep using the keyboard really doesn't allow much flexibility for anyone who works away from home or goes on holiday.

David

Date: January 13, 2008 12:51AM

I understand and globally agree with you. However I'm doing what I can. I do not live from it, I'd like to, but I don't. So my priority aren't the one I'd like them to be... However, next version will show a message box after the expiration date, but still be functional, this way you shouldn't be stuck without keyboard. What do you think?

SiliconS? you've paid for it? where? when? I thought you made a donation to support, not "I paid for it, now I want some support and service, and quick".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2008 01:02PM by tene.

Date: January 16, 2008 03:45PM

Relax Tene. No one is making any demands for support. Heck I've paid for much more expensive things and gotton no support whatsoever. Your product is great. Ready for commercial "distribution" I'd say.

If you're debating on a price for a full version I'd say that no more than 5$-10$ USD would be "fair". Heck I'd say if you did it for $5 you'd get more sales because of the lower price point. $10 might start getting people to look for other alternatives. Just my opinion.

Date: January 16, 2008 03:57PM

Only five bucks? I thought my product was better than that winking smiley

Posted by: deyan ()
Date: January 17, 2008 10:57PM

Now you are a cool developer distributing a nice and worthy keyboard app for "free". But have in mind that when you put a price in this keyboard then you will have obligations!

I agree with you that you have much more to improve before you distribute a final version. An application is not charged only by the work that the developer has spend. It depends on what the application offers better than the competition. I know this from my web site development experience winking smiley

Date: January 22, 2008 07:34PM

What are you talking about Deyan? He won't have any "obligations". Just because he puts a price on it doesn't mean you have to buy it. Also show me what other competition he has? There aren't any. SPB full screen? Tap Tap? HappyTappy?...

Tene, don't listen to these people. Just either release a unrestricted free or pay version please. I personally think your software is worth more than 5$. grinning smiley But what more are you planning on doing to this software that you'll think it's ready for distribution? Stability will NEVER be 100%. NEVER. So don't even worry about that.

Date: January 22, 2008 07:38PM

There was a HUGE buzz in the community when your keyboard(particularly with the iPhone skin) came about. I think had you had it ready then you'd be in better shape. A lot of people would have paid for it then. But after a few weeks when it expired they either moved on or didn't bother to go back and reinstall everything. The longer you wait the more you're going to miss out. It's just a matter of time before someone else comes out with the same type of customizable/configurable soft keyboard for Windows Mobile. Or even worse Microsoft implements something like this in Windows Mobile 7. You should be taking advantage NOW! You're going to miss the bus. IMHO

Date: January 22, 2008 07:43PM

Also why does the keyboard expire but the Contact Manager does not?

Date: January 22, 2008 07:55PM

you're forgetting one aspect: the price to pay to make it commercial.

Taxes are really high in Belgium, and it's rather complicated to make it legal. It's ongoing, I'm thinking about it, but the question is not how to make 10 bucks out of a license, it's how not to lose money. I wish I had infinite time, but unfortunately I don't. There is also the aspect of making the payment online, and provide the user with the right version, it's the kind of things that really takes time to put in places unfortunately, and I speak better C++ than PHP winking smiley

PocketCM Contact is free because:
- I get some donation from it
- It's easier to evolve, add new feature that make user get a newest version.
- It's started as free unlimited project, so unlimited version were already on the net.

But if you prefer I can make it time limited winking smiley

Also for now, it's the naive approach: people that think it's worth it can simply donate, at worst, they're helping making a nice free product, at best they already paid for a license they will get.

Date: January 23, 2008 05:12PM

Yes make it time limited or make the keyboard not time limited. grinning smiley

GOD forbid anything happen to you but if it did this keyboard would die with you. No?

Posted by: diomark ()
Date: January 26, 2008 08:16PM

The expiry is annoyingsad smiley I get frustrated everytime I hit that wall...

Love the keyboard - I actually switched to touchapl for a bit - but am finding myself going back to pocketcm keyboard w/ the touch theme and large english (common words from tv) dictionary - great combination...

-mark

Date: February 20, 2008 01:03PM

tene Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> SiliconS? you've paid for it? where? when? I
> thought you made a donation to support, not "I
> paid for it, now I want some support and service,
> and quick".

Wow. Your attitude is disappointing. On your download page you say:

"You like this software? You want new version, new feature, bug fixes? Access to preview version?, support for device that I don't have or language I don't understand? Support me! Donate!"

Please explain why - despite my 10€ donation - you think I'm being unreasonable when I say "I have already paid and I would love to have a non-limited version of 0.12."

Where did I ask for this quickly? Where did I demand "I want some support and service"?

You will never make money from this software until you drop the arrogance and start listening to your customers. Lots of people are happy with 0.12. All you have to do is set a time-expiry limit of 20 years and email that version to the people who've donated. Why is that so hard? sad smiley

Date: February 20, 2008 08:47PM

I already explain: it's unreasonable because it's not a commercial transaction. I get your point, I do, but try to understand my point: I spend lot of time doing my software, I spend lot of time supporting them. I get some donation, most of the donation are for supporting me, not to get something in return.

You're talking about customers, I'm talking about users, believe me it makes a huge difference, and if I had to support customer the way I support user, it would cost me much more than 10 euro per customer...

E-Mailing people that makes donations? Again simply think about the time it would require to do it, then the 100 of post, remark, it would rise. What donation would make an unlimited version available? 10 euro? 5 euro? what about those people that gives .50 euros, thinking it would help me (in fact it doesn't paypal takes all of it as transaction fee).

So once again, I ask people to be patient, they have a version they can use for free, they're free to donate or not. There will be a 1.0 release at some point, based on a technical decision (stable software) and no matter what it becomes, people that donated won't loss anything out of it.

Date: February 20, 2008 11:57PM

Thank you for your reply, tene.
Perhaps I don't understand your plan with the licence of the keyboard. When I donated I believed that the keyboard software would always be freeware (or perhaps "donationware"). My donation was a gesture of good faith from me to you to show my support, to thank you for developing the software, and to encourage you to continue. I often donate to developers who produce freeware that I use regularly and I'm happy to do this.

My problem is that at the moment the software you've released expires every few weeks. I don't know how much longer this will continue. Maybe it will continue for ever, but maybe it will continue for a few more months and then you'll get bored and stop releasing new versions. I'll then have donated to you for software that I can't use. It's not a lot of money, but it's the principle that is important.

I'm not asking for better support. I'm not asking for a 24-hour telephone support service. winking smiley I just want to know that I can use your excellent software in the future.

I made the friendly request for a non-limited version because for me (and lots of other users too, I guess) the software is already perfect. We could be waiting for months for you to make it perfect for every single user! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2008 11:58PM by SiliconS.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.
© 2010 Quentin Pouplard